Monday, December 12, 2005

Naive Ramblings

I had tears in my eyes as I watched the news earlier tonight. I took a short break from studying for Kasaysayan 2 and P.I. 100 to check out what's going on in the Philippines and around the world, and for some reason, what I saw and heard made me want to cry. People might laugh at me for sitting in front of the television screen and getting all misty-eyed over the news, but I think it's a shade better than feeling numb or cynical about everything that is going on around us.

I'd rather be pathetic than apathetic, I guess.

How many times have I said and written that we are currently living in an age of apathy? That we are living in a world full of cynics and disheartened individuals who have lost their faith in their fellow man? How many times have I tried to prove myself wrong by putting my faith in the people around me, friends and strangers alike?

When we went to Iloilo for the 23rd SPP Congress, I proved to myself more than once that people can actually be trusted. I am not the most streetwise of the lot and have even been called stupid some of the time. I know the risks that I take when I ask some random police officer how to get back to our hotel. I know how dangerous getting into a cab, alone, in a strange place could be. I don't throw my cares away when I do these things knowing how unassuming and naive I tend to look. I just choose to take a deep breath and say a short prayer, then put my faith in God and in my fellow man. It may seem foolhardy to some, but to me, it has always seemed logical. What goes around comes around, right? The people in Iloilo were very nice to me. The police officer I asked directions from was very polite and accommodating. He even hailed my cab for me. The cabbies I rode were kind and even pointed out some interesting things about the different sights (tourist attractions or not) we passed. On the plane going back to Manila, the lady beside me was very sweet and chatted with me. She told me about their trip to Boracay. I was rewarded, for listening to her, with candy that would "keep my ears from popping" while we landed.

Maybe I was lucky during the trip to find such wonderful individuals, but things like that warm me up inside.

And then, there are times when I find myself beginning to actually see my point that men are becoming apathetic and cynical, which brings me back to the news clips I watched that made me cry. Racism in Australia (I could barely look at the screen as images of people of different races attacked each other), incessant bickering among politicians (I found myself laughing, though mortified), OFWs who would rather die starving in an airport or in a violence-filled country than return to the Philippines(it was sad), Christmas MOs of pickpockets and other thieves...

(All this followed by the message: 13 days til Christmas! Now, how's that for an irony?)

...where's the good news?

Can't we have news about the triumph of our athletes without accusations of cheating or criticisms about where the First Gentleman wants to send them to in celebration of their win? Can't we focus on these people who have worked so hard to bring glory to the country rather than the controversies that, through no fault of theirs, surround them? I would like to think that we can.

But "will" doesn't necessarily follow "can". Good news doesn't sell as much as bad and sensationalized news, I guess. Viewers seem to prefer to look at the things that warn him about darker side of his neighbor. "Reality" is more profitable.

Says a lot about the society we're living in, doesn't it?

Then again, maybe it's just me.

1 comment:

Vince Ragay said...

Hi Ea, as you asked: Where's the good news?

Well, the way I see it, it's there in your heart all along. When you treat people kindly, your kindness comes back. When you do good to others, your goodness "comes around". And even when you see evil everywhere (usually, it's on TV, so avoid that box like fire!), that doesn't make you angry like most people do. It makes you cry.

I've always believed that tears carry with them so much of the goodness and beauty in us. And the more we cry, the more we prove how much goodness and beauty there is in us. And so in crying, we express the loss of goodness in this world -- from our lives and from those of others.

If only we can bring more joy to people by highlighting the good around us. Then there would be less tears in the world. For joy -- true joy -- is the life-giving manifestation of overflowing goodness and beauty from heaven.