Monday, February 19, 2007

Kiss

What is the value of a kiss?

Someone asked me this question. And, in my youthful inadequacy, I have no real answer save that which comes from my heart--these things which were not thought of.

A kiss is more than the sum of its parts. It's more than lips touching skin; more than passion; more than heat, and tongue, and teeth. For if a kiss were only that, then if I sought to kiss, I could kiss whoever was willing and I would be satisfied. Yet, I continue to seek kisses from only a few people while I am unstirred by the most passionate of the lot that I care little for.

I have kissed so many--family, friends, and lovers--so many times. The value of a kiss does not whither with use. My lips still seek contact and my skin longs for that tender brush of affection.

No, even now, I cannot take a kiss for granted.

In my mind, each kiss is worth as much as the one I share it with. It feels as much as I feel about my partner. It is taken for granted only when one takes the other for granted. It is loved only when there is love shared. It is an enjoyable passionate heat only when there is desire for the flesh.

No, that is not as accurate as it should be.

Rather, the value of each kiss is worth as much as that moment during that kiss shared with that person. Be that beloved or taken for granted, lingering or fleeting, passionate or in passing.

No comments: