Wednesday, April 04, 2007

One Year

"525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear.
525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?
In daylights, in sunsets,
in midnights, in cups of coffee.
In inches, in miles, in laughter, in strife.
In 525,600 minutes - how do you
measure a year in the life?"
- "Seasons of Love" from Rent
At about this time, last year, I was saying goodbye in so many words to so many people. So much has changed since then.

If we measured that year in daylights and sunsets and midnights and cups of coffee, the past year would be the same as so many others. it had the same number of days, hours, minutes as the years that have come before it and as the years of everyone else.

If we measure the past year in terms of the inches and miles traveled, the year was much shorter for me than for many of the people surrounding me. That is the beauty of a turning point, you travel a certain amount of distance in terms of experience without really going anywhere, but you know you're heading in a whole new direction.

If we use laughter and strife, this year was a bit more difficult for me than most, but it was extremely difficult for so many others. The year was long because I walked alongside those who experienced true laughter and true strife, but I had none of my own--at least nothing new.

So, I begin to wonder when my year will be the same as the years of those around me. Then, at that time, perhaps I won't feel so left behind.

No comments: