Monday, August 06, 2007

Strange Coincidence or Answered Prayers

Only recently, I told Ivan that it was getting harder and harder for me to rely on faith above all else. I remember saying that, like Thomas, the Doubter, I needed more tangible evidence of God's presence than most people because the little things that were making me insecure and depressed were slowly making me embittered. I didn't need to be rebuked about not having faith, I needed a more delicate approach.

Yesterday, at church, I asked for God's help. I asked that whatever little faith I once had be salvaged. I asked for guidance and for peace of mind. During the homily yesterday, Father Nolan said that those with little peace of mind often slept fitfully. Right before the mass ended, we recited the Oratio Imperata, which was an intercessionary prayers for rain to help ease the effects of the dry spell in the country. That night, I wasn't really surprised that I tossed and turned in bed.

Ivan told me that some prayers took time to be answered. Apparently, some prayers didn't take long to answer.

God quickly answered both the Oration Imperata and my own prayer in the most amazing way. Before I left for school, I had an inkling to bring an extra shirt. I didn't know why, but I felt like I needed to bring one. So, I tossed an extra shirt into the car and made my way to school. It started out as a sunny morning. I visited my adviser in his office and as I walked to the building, the sky slowly darkened. By the time I got out of the building, it was drizzling. I decided to let myself get drizzled on, after all, what harm could a little bit of rain water do?

I was halfway between the building and my car, which was parked in a fairly distant parking lot, when thunder suddenly rumbled and rain just poured in buckets. Despite my making a break for my car, by the time I got there, I was soaked. I berated myself for being so careless and not bringing an umbrella. As I drove to the lab, which was a less than a five minute drive from my adviser's office, the rain suddenly tapered off to a drizzle. When I parked my car, I remembered my extra shirt and I suddenly found myself laughing.

If I had left my adviser's office a minute or two later, I wouldn't have gotten caught in the downpour. I wouldn't have gotten wet. I wouldn't have needed the extra shirt I had been compelled to bring. I found it amusing, as simple a miracle or a coincidence it might be.

God had answered the people's prayers and mine with one storm. Or, maybe, it was just one big coincidence. But, somehow, it still made my day.

No comments: