Saturday, February 28, 2009

The Melancholy of Ma'am Kristine: On Looking Down

I have a strange obsession whenever I'm staring out of high windows or looking down from a high place: I always feel like throwing something at the people below me.

Why?

It's mostly because I want them to look up. I want them to realize that I can see them. I want them to realize that even if they are alone on the street, I'm watching them from above. We all have a tendency to limit ourselves to what we consider to be "our level". The world is much bigger than that.

Whenever I'm out in the open, walking beside tall buildings, I also have the compulsion to look up at the windows above. I often wonder if people are watching. I often wonder if there are people like me who like to look down. Maybe I have a god complex. I don't know. But looking down from above kinda sets things in perspective in an almost religious sense.

No comments: