Sunday, February 22, 2009

Re: 99 Things Girls Should Know about Guys (Part 1)

At the behest of Sir Kiko, I Googled "signs" and "what girls should know" and this was one of the lists that came up. One damn long list.

Grabbed from God, Gold, Glory

-

I just felt like reacting to them. There are 99, so I plan on doing these in batches of 5s or 4s. I'm a girl, so my reactions are just opinions and not facts, and yes, this is a disclaimer.

1. Guys don't actually look after good-looking girls. They prefer neat and presentable girls.

Ivan once told me, "There is no such thing as an ugly girl, but there are lazy ones." And, I actually agree. Let's face facts, with the right accessories, clothes, and cosmetics, any member of the fairer sex can become attractive. I don't think there's an actual preference for neat and presentable girls, a hot sexy mama is a hot sexy mama even when she's covered in mud (hence the percentage of the male population so into mud wrestling). But if you're not blessed to be one of the gorgeous clones of Hollywood A-listers, good grooming always helps you in the race for a partner, regardless of gender.

And remember, according to some scientific studies, the sense of smell is the one most linked to emotion. It's also one of the first indicators of genetic compatibility. So if you can't make yourself look good, at least try to smell good.

(I think I should take my own advice. LOL)

2. Guys hate flirts.

I don't think guys actually hate flirts. I think they hate it when someone they find unattractive flirts with them. No one wants to be stuck with the girl in Silvertoes. But, if the girl who flirts with him is a hottie, I don't think he would mind the ego boost.

The problem with flirting is that we have different definitions of it. For me, flirting is a form of intellectual foreplay, some people think those who are being kind and generous are flirting. (Gods, yes! A person can be nice without ulterior motives. Jeez! Grow up from your Neanderthal-selves, people! We're not just about sex anymore.) It can be extremely frustrating when you realize that the person you thought was into you isn't into you at all. So, I think the key here is consistency and not sending mixed signals. And bear in mind that flirting does not require commitment. Some guys are annoyed by girls who flirt with them but have no plans of hooking up with them. But, dudes, it happens. Flirting is an ego boost for the ladies, too.

Come on. Turnabout is fair play.

3. A guy can like you for a minute, and then forget you afterward.

I think this depends on the guy and your definition of "like". I think, on this matter, guys are wired a little differently than girls. A guy who sees a fairly attractive girl, and there are a lot of those in their collective minds, would most probably like her the moment he sees her. But, even if he finds the girl attractive, that doesn't mean he wants a relationship, right? Maybe he wants sexy time or maybe even just eye candy, but he's not exactly looking for a wife, yet.

This is kinda different from many girls who get crushes that last for years on end. I'm not sure, but I think some guy-crushes can last for, like, five seconds. Enough time for the girl to exit his line of vision.

4. When a guy says he doesn't understand you, it simply means you're not thinking the way he is.

And when a girl says she doesn't understand you, it means the same thing. Life wouldn't be half as interesting if men and women completely understood each other, so let's just enjoy the confusion.

5. "Are you doing something?" or "Have you eaten already?" are the first usual questions a guy asks on the phone just to get out from stammering.

Concern does not always equate to "at a loss for words". I think this is one of those entries in this list that is more "99 things girls should know about me ('me' being the author of the list)" than "99 things girls should know about guys". It's true, though, that small talk is often used when you're not sure of what you can talk about, but these questions (and a few others like "How was your day?" and "How are you?") are sometimes asked as forms of common courtesy or actual interest.

Here's a tip: don't call a girl if you can't think of anything to talk about. Don't expect her to carry the conversation, that's just annoying.

1 comment:

motives cosmetics said...

I thoroughly enjoyed these 99 things.