Monday, February 23, 2009

Re: 99 Things Girls Should Know about Guys (Part 2)

At the behest of Sir Kiko, I Googled "signs" and "what girls should know" and this was one of the lists that came up. One damn long list.

Grabbed from God, Gold, Glory

-

6. Guys may be flirting around all day but before they go to sleep, they always think about the girl they truly care about.

Around the time we got together, I asked Ivan how he knew he loved me. He said something like this: "Because you're the first person I think about when I wake up and the last person I think about before I fall asleep." I'm sure, though, I haven't been the last thing on Ivan's mind before he goes to sleep for at least a while now. He's been thinking about his thesis (at least, I hope he is). That's what's most important to him at the moment, and I don't really mind.

It's funny, really, how the things most important to us at the moment are apparent in the thoughts that first enter our heads at the start of the day and the thoughts that preoccupy our minds during our last waking moments. It doesn't matter what filled our days, but the things that really most concern us are evident at that bridge between consciousness and unconsciousness. So, male or female, if we're at that stage in life that romance is most important to us, then this is probably true.

7. When a guy really likes you, he'll disregard all your bad characteristics.

I like the Disney channel, I like classical music, know nothing about pop culture, and am constantly tripping over my own feet. Ivan, dearest to my heart, has had to put up with these things and then some for over seven years. Do you really think he disregards them? No, he doesn't. If you truly love a person, you help them better themselves. Love is not blind, it sees quite clearly. But love doesn't see faults or shortcomings, it sees the room for improvement that could make things even better.

8. Guys go crazy over a girl's smile.

I know two guys who were once gaga over this girl, so long as she didn't smile. "Pangit ngipin niya e," one of them explained when I asked.

Seriously, guy or girl, your smile is always your best face.

9. Guys will do anything just to get the girl's attention.

A few days ago, Sir Kiko and I were talking and I mentioned some of the things guys did for me to get my attention. I was in high school when a guy first tried to get my attention (or, rather, affection). He put me on a three-way conference call with one of his friends who "opened up" the topic. Then, he told me in a shy awkward way that he had a crush on me. I don't mind things like that. Crushes are quaint things that make you feel good with little consequence. Now, the more...uhm...fervent ones had more devastating results. One guy called me every night so he could hear my voice. The same guy followed me around singing "I'll Be" (which is why I learned to hate that song). This other guy kissed my hand and asked if he could "keep me" (Casper, is that you?). Cake-guy gave me pastries then sent a friend to get my celphone number so he could get "acquainted" with me over text. But the one who succeeded did it oh-so-simply. He walked up to me and said 'hi'.
Sir Kiko pointed out something that I realized was true. On another girl, the tactics that failed on me would have worked. The main problem here is that I'm not romantic. I'm painfully cerebral so you have to be able to pique my brain in order to be able to pick me up. Tip: You don't have to resort to extreme and ridiculous acts. Approach the girl, find out what makes her tick. THEN ask her out. The problem is, while guys would probably do "almost anything" to get a girl's attention, they don't do what are, to me, the best things to do: be yourself and be upfront.

10. Guys hate it when you talk about your ex-boyfriend.

Interesting thing about this is that while guys don't like hearing about the other guys in their lady's life, girls are often interested in their lover's past loves. I think I'll explore this topic more in a different post. LOL.

No comments: